It is one of the most popular hair-removal options today. Yes, you heard it right. Shaving is not just limited to your underarms, legs, and hands. People have started shaving their faces now. Running a razor on your face may be daunting for some, but trust me it’s not that difficult. Dermaplaning is usually performed by a dermatologist but you can also do it yourself (DIY). You will find it out in this article.
What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning can also be referred to as “shaving your face,” as this procedure involves gently pulling the blade over the skin. It is a skin treatment in which an exfoliating blade removes dead skin cells and hair from the face, so the skin gets more even in texture and tone. This is also called microplaning or blading. Dermaplaning makes the skin soft, young, and radiant. This treatment is designed to remove deep acne scars and uneven skin.
Don’t mistake dermaplaning with dermabrasion. “Both treatments restore the skin surface, but dermaplaning takes off most of the epidermis, the outermost layer of your skin whereas microdermabrasion removes only the top layer called the stratum corneum (the surface layer of skin)”, explains Neil Sadick, (a board-certified dermatologist in New York City).
What are the Benefits of Dermaplaning?
The main Benefits of Dermaplaning are:
- Allows make-up to sit more smoothly & Evenly.
- Gives your skin brighter and a glowy look.
- Exfoliates your skin.
- Gives you wrinkle-reducing benefits as well.
- Removes dirt, hair, and dead skin cells from your skin.
- As safe as shaving your legs.
- It can be performed frequently.
- Don’t worry your hair won’t grow thicker or darker.
- A great option for people who have sensitive skin.
What are the Risks & Side Effects of dermaplaning?
- You might have slight redness on your face after the treatment.
- Avoid dermaplaning if you have active acne.
- Minimum to no-risk procedure.
- Don’t use products containing retinol & acids till 3-4 days after the treatment as it will cause your irritation.
- After the treatment, protect your skin from direct UV rays.
Should I Dermaplane?
I believe in it! Dermaplaning is a safe and effective exfoliation for all skin types. It is safe during pregnancy, it is safe for people with sensitive skin, and is good for people with acne scars, fine lines, sun damage, and dull or dry skin. Basically, if you want your skin to look softer, brighter, and younger, derma design can be a great addition to your everyday skincare routine.
However, if you have active cystic acne, do not plan until the rash is gone. Major Benefits of Dermaplaning is that it can help reduce acne outbreaks [since it removes dirt and grease from the face and makes skincare products that fight acne more effective (benefits of dermaplaning for acne)], but it’s not recommended for acne outbreaks. Also, if you have irritable skin or rosacea, it is advisable to consult a dermatologist before starting a dermatology plan.
How to perform dermaplaning at home
Here’s how you can do it yourself:
1. Prepare your skin – First of all, you need to cleanse your skin with a gentle face cleanser and dry your skin.
2. Get your own derma blade. Small razor blades like Tinkle are the easiest to use for derma designs.
3. While the skin is still moist, paint the derma leaves to remove fine hair and peach mist. Peach Haze is the densest around the chin, neck and upper lip, so it’s best to focus on this area first. A rough shave is usually the lightest shave on your skin.
4. be careful. Keeping the blades relatively parallel to the skin is what you want. Obviously, don’t cut the flesh.
5. Do not apply skin to acne or other irritated skin. Have you already said it lightly?
Check your work with a magnifying mirror under natural light. Sweep away areas of your cheeks, chin, upper lip, or neck that are not yet clean. Shaving the fibers while exercising upwards can help get rid of stubborn lint, but be careful! It is much easier to cut yourself in this way.
Treat nicks with a protective layer of vaseline. If you have a lot of bleeding, your skin plan may not be suitable, so bandage it and look for a good moisturizer next time.
Then apply a rich moisturizer. Products containing hyaluronic acid are especially good at retaining moisture and help the skin look lively and supple.
The Best Dermaplaning Tools
How To Find A Provider
You can find licensed plastic surgeons who can perform dermaplaning on the website of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Or, You can also contact your local dermatologists and ask if it can be done or ask them for a referral.