In the case of makeup and cosmetics, the benefits of waterproof formulas cannot be denied. You don’t have to worry about recurrently applying lipstick after a cup of coffee or even water and melting of foundation before you even leave the house.
Many of us have had this worst experience somewhere in our lives so now we are devoted to finding waterproof makeup products such as waterproof mascaras that stay in place all the time.
But as friendly as these waterproof mascaras are, they are a real pain when it comes to taking them off. Being waterproof, it cannot be washed off with water.
So, you end up rubbing harshly with a cleanser which leads to loss of lashes.
How to Remove Waterproof Mascara
1. Almond Oil
Almond oil mixed with witch hazel works like a gem for removing waterproof makeup.
How to Make DIY Mascara Removing Solution
2 spoons almond oil
2 spoons of witch hazel
1 – 2 spoons of water
Add all three ingredients in a container and mix well.
You can use it with a makeup pad or cotton balls.
How to Use
- Apply DIY Mascara Removing Solution to a cotton ball or makeup pad.
- Place this cotton ball or makeup pad under your eyelashes after closing your eyes and hold it there for a few seconds.
- This will help break down the mascara and make it easier to wipe off.
- Start wiping it off by swiping up with gentle pressure.
- Repeat this until all the makeup comes off.
2. Coconut oil/ Olive oil
Removing stubborn waterproof mascara using coconut oil or olive oil is one of the safest, natural and most effective ways. Not only these oils help you get rid of the mascara but they are full of rich nutrients as well as hydrating and will enhance the growth of healthy eyelashes.
- Coconut oil/ Olive Oil
- Cotton balls/ Makeup pads
- Put some oil on the makeup pad. (This may get a little messy, so use just a little bit of oil)
- Dab gently on your eyelashes, place the pad on your eyelids for 10 seconds.
- Do not start rubbing and gently wipe down.
- Repeat this until all mascara comes off.
- Wash off your face with a face wash or use wet wipes to get rid of excess oil.
3. Baby Shampoo
If you have baby shampoo in your bathroom by any chance, it can be used to remove waterproof mascara. Baby shampoos are safe to use on the eyelashes as they are really mild.
You should use regular shampoo instead of baby shampoo because it can cause irritation in your eyes.
- Baby shampoo
- Wet wipes
- Cotton balls/ Makeup pad
- Start by adding a small amount of baby shampoo on a cotton ball or makeup pad.
- Apply it gently on your lashes and wipe it down towards the tip of eyelashes.
- Once done, take wet wipes and wipe off the mascara and baby shampoo.
- Wash your face with clean water and face wash.
Also Read: Zero Waste Makeup: A Complete Guide
How to Remove Mascara From Clothes
All mascaras are made from oils, dyes and waxes. Some may have different chemicals as well. If somehow you get the mascara stain on your clothing, you should treat the affected area with a stain remover.
Apply the stain remover generously using a brush or your finger.
Let the stain remover sit and work for about 15 minutes before washing. While washing the clothing article, make sure you use hot water.
If you don’t have access to stain remover, you can use a liquid detergent as well.